Musings of a mom journeying through work, mothering three boys, fashion passion, current state of mommyhood and daydreams.....

Friday, January 21, 2011

Things I am Obsessed with - January

It's a new year, new month and new things to obsess over for 2011.  While I am still sorting through the fashion and beauty trends I like, here's a quick round-up of some items in general I am dying for right now.

The 50th anniversary of the inaugural address for a great president whose term and legacy was sadly cut short. I cannot put down The Kennedy Detail. A compelling account of the story of his presidency just prior to, and the assassination as told by his Secret Service agents, who are breaking their silence for the first time. The guilt is palpable from the pages, and their perspective on that fateful day is unparalleled.




With a resolution to bring back the family dinner into our hectic lives, comes dessert (in moderation of course!). Enter A World of Cake, a stunning cookbook that provides recipes and stories of cakes from around the world and for all occasions. Tackled thus far? The Queen Ann's Cake from England, aka Carrot Cake. Yum. Also included are surprisingly easy frosting recipes. 




Being the bookworm that I am, I discovered online yesterday the most amazing bookends that I must own before the year is out. Ideally before May is out (I fortunately have a birthday, Nurses' week and Mother's day in a three week period - with a generous husband....) Enter the Carmen Object and Bookend from Lunares Home. A most delightful platform shoe bookend made from recycled materials, hand made, cast in a metal alloy, promised to never tarnish, chip, peel or crack.  $115.  Consider it a work of art for your home. 


While there are still a couple more months of Old Man Winter upon us, and snow is predicted for the next day or so, the resort and pre-spring catalogs are rolling in. One of my favorite children's catalogs has me giddy with anticipation for warm weather with this backyard toadstool table and chair set - our backyard had plenty of trees and shade to tuck this away in and let the imaginations run the day!
$450 at Chasing Fireflies.  The table and chairs are made of resin and weatherproofed. Perfect for Indoors and Out.

Three kids means there are days I am convinced I might die without a cup or two or three of coffee to function. Enter my Starbucks addiction. Thankfully they have heard my call that the Venti size just isn't big enough - Now introducing the Trenta size for those iced drinks on the days a hot beverage won't do. 31 ounces of unadulterated iced coffee or iced chai bliss. Now. If the Starbucks corporate suits would recognize some of us working weekend folk would LOVE a Trenta hot option for a weekend to sip on all morning. Dee-licious.  Available for iced drinks only May 3rd everywhere.



Pantone's color of the year. Did you even know Pantone released a color of the year each year? It shows up in our clothing, home decorating trends, jewelry etc. This year, it's Honeysuckle. 
I must be on testosterone overload in my house, because I am loving this proclamation and trying to figure out just how much I can incorporate it into the house and my look. So tired of the Navy, Khaki, Orange and Army Greens that run my life as of late. Bring on the honeysuckle!  ( I am sure my husband can't wait for 2012 and a new color of the year to come quickly and save him....)

There you have it. My current obsessions. See you in February when hopefully I will have figured out what fashion and beauty ideas for 2011 I am going to get the year started with, and then head into Spring and Summer with.    What has caught your fancy in the new year?           



0 comments:

Post a Comment